We, the participants to the IMO Regional Conference on the Development of a Global Strategy for Women Seafarers, 2013, having deliberated on the contribution of women seafarers to the maritime industry and the attendant challenges which confront them;
Declare that we commit and agree to:
- Work towards enhancing greater awareness of the role of women as a valuable resource to the maritime industry and to the promotion of safe, secure and efficient shipping and the protection of the environment;
- Advocate, in our respective countries the promotion for the adoption of policies and regulations which support access for women to maritime education and the merchant marine professions;
- Participate in the development of a Global Strategy for Women Seafarers through sharing of information, experience and best practices, and contributing to relevant associations and networks;
- Encourage our respective governments to work with the International Maritime Organization, through the Technical Cooperation Committee, to endorse the objectives of the Global Strategy for Women Seafarers;
- Forge partnerships and solicit support of governments and non-governmental organizations including national and regional Women in Maritime Associations (WIMAs) as well as international and regional bodies, to facilitate the implementation of a Global Strategy for Women Seafarers; and
- Work with national and local organizations to raise awareness and facilitate the implementation of the Global Strategy for Women Seafarers.