Are we mad to have let a maverick scientist create a virus that could wipe out 400 million people?
- Professor Yoshihiro Kawaoka created a new strain of 2009 swine flu virus
- If virus escaped it could kill up to a billion people – there is no known vaccine
- Professor Kawaoka argues that it is part of valuable scientific research
- Others in the field have called the experiment ‘exceedingly dangerous’
- He’s basically got a known pandemic strain that is now resistant to vaccination. Everything he did before was dangerous, but this is even madder.
- I am worried that this signals a growing trend to make “transmissible” novel viruses willy-nilly.
- In the case of influenza, we anticipate that such a risk assessment will show that the risks are unjustifiable.