19 things that only seem normal to New Yorkers:
- Avoid eye contact at ALL costs, especially on the subway.
- Sandwich yourself between strangers in extremely crowded public places.
- Yet, get irrationally irritated when a slow walking person is in your way…
- Or, when someone touches your hand by accident on a subway pole.
- Complain about how overrated the brunch scene is… yet roll out of bed hungover as hell every Saturday morning to go to brunch.
- Wear all black most all of the time, regardless of the season.
- Filter out the absolute insanity that goes on around us.
- Order lunch and dinner from the same restaurant on the same day via Seamless.
- Whine about the horrific lines at Trader Joe’s… but still shop there even though you know exactly how long it’s going to take – FOREVER.
- Make reservations for dinner no earlier than 10 pm.
- Immediately ask the question “So, what do you do for a living?” upon meeting someone for the first time.
- Pay a messenger service to have something delivered from a store that is literally across the street from your apartment.
- Talk about the weather with almost every person you encounter during the day.
- Ask people you barely know how much they pay for rent.
- Develop odd preferences for certain neighborhoods, and hate on neighborhoods you have never even been to before.
- Avoid the clipboard people in Union Square like the Bubonic plague and ignore every flyer that someone tries to hand to you.
- Live in constant fear of unusual things falling from the sky such as AC units, flying buzz saws and the dreaded mysterious drip.
- Pay $6 for a latte..or $18 for cranberry vodka at the club.
- Incessantly complain about the city… …but share a love for NYC that runs deeper than anything because no other city in the world compares to our beloved Big Apple.
19 things that only seem normal to New Yorkers
by Big Appled
New York City is unlike any other place in the world, so it’s no surprise that the people who reside here tend to live a little differently than others. Whether you’ve been in the Big Apple since birth or you’ve relocated to the concrete jungle, after a while you’ll catch yourself doing some of the strange things that we do on a daily basis here in New York City.
Here are 19 things that only seem normal to New Yorkers:
No car = the freedom to drink without worry on the weekends.
Cheers to that!