Clear Learning Goals mean:
- What should students KNOW: Facts; Dates; Definitions; Rules; People; Places; Vocabulary; Information.
- Students will be able to DO: Basic skills; Communication; Planning/Organization; Thinking skills; Evaluation; Working collaboratively; Skills of the discipline: mapping, graphing, collecting data, show p.o.v.
- Students will UNDERSTAND that: Essential questions; Theories; “Big” ideas; Important generalizations; Thesis-like statements.
Know, Understand, Do
Principles into Practice
by Sandra Page
Understandings vs. Knowledge
• Open; arguable
• Higher order
• Require support
• Recur, possibly in other subject areas
• One right answer
• Prompt recall or the noticing “the” answer
• Meant to efficiently answered